When running a website or online business, its
important to choose the best Internet marketing
tactics, which will offer the biggest reward in
traffic or income compared to the amount of time
or money invested. This is called getting a good
ROI (return on investment) from your Internet
There are many common, and general, forms of
Internet marketing, and most can work for a wide
variety of websites and online businesses through
the different Internet marketing tactics available
in each. These are some of the basic types of
1. Email Marketing email newsletters,
coupons and offers, etc.
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) link-building,
keyword optimization, etc.
3. Search Engine Marketing (SEM) search
engine advertising, etc.
4. Viral Marketing video / file-sharing,
5. Affiliate Marketing having others sell
your products for a percentage
6. Online Advertising banner ads, text
link ads, sponsorships, etc.
7. Online PR online press releases, blogging,
There are a few steps in choosing the best Internet
marketing tactics for a website or online business:
1. Choose a niche or industry.
2. Identify the target market.
3. Determine what most influences that target
4. Evaluate the competitions strengths,
weaknesses, and their marketing tactics.
5. Create an Internet marketing plan, including
a marketing budget.
As a part of creating an Internet marketing plan,
list all possible Internet marketing tactics that
fit your budget and have the potential to reach
your target market. Once you have a master list
of potential Internet marketing tactics, run each
through the following checklist to narrow down
the best options, and create your final list of
Internet marketing tactics for your website or
__ Will reach the target market.
__ Will be able to influence the target market.
__ Has been used in this niche or other niches
targeting a similar market successfully before
(better if its been used to target a similar
market, but never exactly done in the current
__ Will set the website apart from the competition.
__ Will fit within the Internet marketing budget
for the site.
>> Return to Web
Design Article Knowledgebase Index